Wednesday, January 21, 2009

J1 Mexican rankings

I like rankings. I've done MLS rankings for a while now and I figured why not do some Mexican league rankings.

So here goes, my first Mexican power rankings. I don't have a catchy name for them, so for now they're just that. I've based these on how strong I think these teams are coming into the season and how they did in the first week. I like teams who do well on the road, and I don't like teams who struggle at home, so that criteria to me is important.

1. Pachuca. Scored four goals and looked impressive doing so, but will get tested quite a bit more by San Luis in Jornada 2.
2. Toluca. Defending champs struggle at home but still formidable squad.
3. America. Salvador Cabanas a maestro at goal scoring.
4. Pumas. Pablo Barrera helps felinos escape Necaxa with full three points.
5. Cruz Azul. Impressive: scored three goals on road in first half. Not impressive: managed just a point.
6. Atlante. Where did all that offense come from? And at Nemesio Diez no doubt...
7. Chivas. Battled to get back in game but ultimately couldn't get a game-winner with a man advantage.
8. Monterrey. Four goals is impressive, especially given the coaching circumstances facing this club entering the season.

No comments: