Tuesday, November 4, 2008

First awards

Today, MLS will announce to of its postseason award winners as the Goalkeeper of the Year and Fair Play Award will be handed out. Now, while I was in blog limbo in between blogs, I voted. I think I backed a winner in the Goalkeeper of the Year award since I picked Jon Busch for the award.

Busch seems like a no-brainer. He was great in goal this season for Chicago and made numerous key saves that kept the Fire in games. He played every minute of every game and had a 1.10 goals against average. He also had 10 shutouts, tied for the league lead, and finished second in saves with 122, two behind San Jose's Joe Cannon.

The other finalists also had good seasons, although William Hesmer had a better season than Matt Reis.

As for the Fair Play Award, the finalists are Juan Pablo Angel, Michael Parkhurst and Chris Rolfe. I picked Angel although I'm not sure what exactly I based that on. See, that's where I need the readers to help me vote. Although none of the finalists are dirty, Angel seems like the least dirty player in the league so I suppose that's why I voted that way.

ADD: The winners were Jon Busch and Michael Parkhurst as just announced by Major League Soccer.

No comments: