Friday, December 12, 2008

Painted trees

This has nothing to do with soccer... but just wondering...

If you've ever visited Mexico, you probably noticed that a lot of trees are painted white. Well, not the whole tree but rather a portion of the trunk. Anyway, just wondering why that is? Is there a story behind that?

I think it looks good and in fact told my wife that I wanted to paint our trees at our house in similar fashion. She balked, but she may come home one day to a painted tree trunk.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my dad once told me it wss to keep away insects or ants and the pain they use is a bitter chalky mix with water.


Looks ugly.

Anonymous said...

my Mexican-born wife said it's to keep away ants (and you also tie a red band around it) and aphids...stops them from eating the flowers-and leads to lots of fruit..

I see the same thing when I play golf in the desert-they paint the base of citrus trees also...

Anonymous said...

Dude, I can't get with that. That's what they do in Sun City (aka, Phoenix's 55+ retirement community). Put some other color in it. Do it Chivas striped or something.

-dallen in phx