Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Aguirre column

I chimed in with my thoughts on the Mexico managerial position for The Press-Enterprise.

And in case you missed it, I also wrote a column on Aguirre for Goal.com.

The one thing I really didn't address in any column is the thought that Aguirre will inspire confidence in the team and that will help improve things. It's another challenge he has, amidst his wealth of challenges. Now, I don't think the fault for Mexico's current state was Sven-Goran Eriksson's alone, and that now Aguirre is in and everything is right with El Tri. It's not as cut-and-dry as that.

But one argument in favor of a 180-degree turnaround from the start seems to be the confidence Aguirre will instill in the players. I think that was one of the biggest arguments in favor of Hugo Sanchez, that players would do anything and everything for him, that they would play with fervor the likes of which hadn't been seen in a long time.

I just don't buy it. It's not as easy as hitting the confidence button and watching the team dominate. It's not. I'm not saying Aguirre won't turn things around, but I just don't think it's going to be easy.

No comments: