Monday, February 16, 2009

Damaged goods

Three days after the deadline MLS set for a decision on the David Beckham transfer saga have passed and things have changed. Milan might be out of the Serie A race after a loss to Inter, while Beckham is now an injury concern as he left the Milan derby with a hamstring injury in the 59th minute.

Becks is still expected back on March 9. However, this is why I still think we won't see it happen. Here's what he said after the match:

"I know it will be difficult to go back after everything that's happened. I've said I want to stay at Milan and I haven't changed my mind, but it's out of my hands. I hope things will go the way I want them to, of course. But if I have to go back, I will be professional, because that's what I have to do."

Here's a link to a story on the matter from the LA Times.

4 comments:

nothingtoseehere said...

Beckham's best option might be to buy himself out.

Anonymous said...

Buying himself out might be the only option. While the offer is low, I understand where AC Milan is coming from. I don't think there are any 33 year old players that go for $15 million. I know that the Galaxy is thinking in terms of marketing and what not, but in pure footballing terms, putting age and recent injuries into consideration, Beckham's probably only worth $5 million. And even Beckham himself probably knows that.

I don't agree in keeping Beckham around if he is going to be unhappy and will find it "difficult" to come back. An unhappy athlete usually is a useless one. Something will be worked out, whether it's Beckham buying himself out or MLS accepting a late offer.

Anonymous said...

If he doesn't buy himself out, I could honestly care less about how Beckham feels about this. As it stands right now, MLS will make a lot more than was offered in jersey sales and gate receipts if he comes back for the season. Get his ass back here and parade him around the country.

Now, if this truly isn't about money, then he should buy his contract out. At this point it's the only way that MLS is hurt by this, and even then it won't be that bad, because then the league will have the money - and despite anything that happens, money talks.

I won't be surprised if Beckham and Donovan get an extra-hard love tap in each game from a guy who was hoping for one of these loans in the future. "You ruined it for everyone" would be a theme on my mind if I were them.

Anonymous said...

I seriously doubt anyone will be interested in going to Galaxy game to see an unhappy Beckham play out his contract. And jersey sales? I doubt there is more money in that well.